Technology is the Catalyst for Reducing Operational Costs
The impact of COVID-19 will mean c-stores need to find a way to evolve their cost structure as implementing store technology changes to meet the demands of new customer buying habits is not an easy task when underlying costs continue to rise.
C-store retailers believe their IT can make the biggest difference in reducing cost to serve in the future, and give them the ability to swiftly adapt to changes in the following areas:
- 24% Remote deployment of IT updates and new technology in stores via centralized cloud management portal instead of field technician visits
- 20% Increase staff productivity by putting the right technology into store associates’ hands
- 16% Accelerate automation of store IT processes through new software deployment
- 15% Remove hardware refresh costs enforced by vendor end of support deadlines
- 14% Reduce IT support and maintenance costs
- 10% Reduce store downtime.
Covid-19 has been the catalyst to spark more innovation in frictionless retail and new ways to achieve optimum efficiency, and this is now part of the new normal. Many who have embarked upon this journey are only now realizing what opportunities and challenges they face; ultimately, having an agile store IT infrastructure will determine which c-stores prevail, and which ones fall behind.